Home › Stairs overview
Stairs for modern architecture
In modern architecture, stairs are not only a functional element providing a connection between two storeys; they are increasingly used as a creative interior design element. Their outstanding position inside the building lends itself to this role. No matter whether in prestigious public and commercial buildings or stylish residential buildings, it is the most prominent place for the promoter to give the building a distinctive style. Therefore, stairs by MetallArt are always an aesthetic experience despite their functionality. Steel offers more design options than any other material due to its formability and high load-bearing capacity: filigree bearing structures complying with modern architectural demands.
Modern stairs | Reference projects
The following list of reference projects provides a short overview of our comprehensive stairs portfolio. You will get detailed information on the different stairs made of metal by clicking on the images. Just take a look at our virtual stairs studio.
Modern stairs for every purpose
If you ask yourself the question "What are modern stairs?", you will find out that stairs architecture is also subject to fashion trends. This has an effect on the way stairs are designed and constructed as well as on the selection of materials: Stairs with soffit lining, balustrade stringers, glass railings, glass steps...
Based on decades of experience in stairs construction, the design engineers of MetallArt have always succeeded in developing sophisticated technical solutions with creativity and commitment that satisfy requirements regarding both function and design.
Different shapes for modern stairs
Newel stairsstairs with a continuous newel of lacquer-finished steel or stainless steel.
- Spiral stairs (also referred to as curved stairs), either circular, half-circular or elliptical, with or without a half-landing depending on the number of stairs and the degree of winding.
- Straight-flight stairs - with or without a half-landing - convey the impression of a clear line in the room layout. Stairs with a half-landing allow a change of the flight direction. They are referred to as quarter-turn or half-turn stairs.
Various stairs structures:
Single-stringer stairs with expressive shapes
- Steel stringer stairs: flat steel stringers for filigree stairs structures, box-type stringers for generous staircase structures in prestigious entrance halls and foyers
- Saw-tooth stringer stairs for young modern living.
- Folded stairs
- Cantilevered stairs for a futuristic style of architecture
- Self-supported stairs
Material variety for modern stairs:
Staircase structure made of steel combined with timber treads and/or handrail
- Stainless steel stairs: the load-bearing structure as well as the railings are available in stainless steel
- Glass stairs: staircase structure made of steel or stainless steel with glass treads and/or glass railing in modern stairs architecture
Economic manufacturing processes
The MetallArt design engineers naturally orient their designs towards the latest style trends. This requires state-of-the art manufacturing technologies as well. The technicians and architects in the design department have been using highly complex 3D-software for many years. A CNC laser system as well a CNC five-axes profile machining centre cut the steel, stainless steel or aluminium with millimetre precision and machine the stairs components.
The MetallArt design engineers have acquired comprehensive knowledge also about the use of glass materials in stairs construction. Particularly where glass railings are concerned, they can rely on a sophisticated assembly technology especially developed for this purpose.
Your project is in good hands at MetallArt. We are a "one-stop shop" offering all relevant services and workmanship, from expert advice through to the acceptance of the finished stairs.