The construction of a steel staircase for day-care centres calls for a certain know-how. In rooms where there are children playing an increased caution is necessary. On the part of the staircase constructor special safety precautions must be taken. In addition to DIN 18065, the regional building regulations (LBO ) and the workplace regulations the main focus is on BG/GUV-SR S2 when it comes to staircase building for day-care centres.
The Paul Rieger Stiftung made a good choice when engaging MetallArt as their partner for this staircase project. Our experts realised both a safe and aesthetic steel staircase in the foyer of the day-care centre in Bonn.
Steel staircase with flat-steel stringers
- Flight width up to 1,100 mm approx.
- 2 flight of stairs, straight ground plan
- Folded steps made of 6-8 mm thick steel sheet
- Steel teads welded in between the stringers
- Fixed to the unfinished floor with steel base plates
- Design and construction according to DIN 18065
Tread cover of the steel staircase
- Solid beech wood
- Rounded edges
- Sanded wooden cover
- Lacquered with DD varnish
- Fixing to the substructure of the steel staircase with footfall sound fleece, screwed with countersunk screws
Railing for the steel staircase
- Vertical steel bars according to DIN 18065
- Handrail 1: Diameter of 42 mm, stainless steel round tube
- Handrail 2: Diameter of 34 mm, stainless steel round tube
- For safety reasons there are NO continuous handrails between the flight of stairs and the landing, handrails without open tubing ends
- Railing for the ceiling analogue but without stainless steel handrails
To avoid unattended entree of children (above all children under 3 years) an JPMA-certified child protection gate for the bottom and the top of stairs was installed at the stair foot. This practical and cost-effective solution was inspected and approved by the TÜV Rheinland. When not used, the gate winds itsself automatically and quiet onto a spindle. Another advantage is the fact, that it can be operated with one hand.
MetallArt also prepared the verifiable structural analysis for the steel staircase as well as for the railing system.