In stylish residential buildings, the design of the stairs is considered a real challenge because it has to integrate harmoniously into the aesthetic architecture of the building and satisfy all demands of a stylish interior. As an innovative design element, modern indoor stairs can be considered the calling card for a house, just like in the residential house on Lake Constance shown in the illustration.
The spiral stairs with their parapet-high stringers and curved underside soffit are perfectly set in scene in the light-flooded stairwell. The ground plan of the prestigious indoor stairs is evenly rounded from the basement to the ground floor as well as from the ground floor to the first floor. The two stair flights are connected by a landing on the ground floor. The landing size corresponds to the dimensions of nine treads. The stairs' head landing on the first floor, which corresponds to a ground projection of 16 treads, provides a perfect transition to the gallery and outlines the perfectly circular appearance of the indoor stairs at the same time.
Design of the interior stairs
- String staircase with balustrade stringers (parapet-high stringers) made of steel sheet on both sides and bent according to the ground plan and stairs run.
- The stairs diameter of the inner stringer amounts to approx. 650 mm; the diameter of the outer stringer is approximately 2,750 mm. The resulting flight width is one metre approximately.
- The steel stringers of the indoor stairs are connected to the concrete slab on the ground floor and the wooden beam ceiling on the first floor with force-fit joints.
- The design and execution comply with the requirements of DIN 18065.
Tread structures for modern stairs
- The steps are designed as a folded structure (tread and risers are closed) and welded between the balustrade stringers of the indoor stairs. They accommodate the wooden planking.
- Moreover, the treads are designed as troughs, allowing the customer to fill in screed topping. For this purpose, the steel sheet of the steps is bent at the rear side and welded with offset height at the front side.
Landings of indoor stairs
- The landing construction corresponds to a box-type step, which is bent upwards on the front and rear sides. On the top side, the structure is connected flush to the surface with covering sheet. The hollow space inside is fitted with stiffening sections to meet structural requirements. To provide footfall sound insulation, the hollow space is filled with mineral wool.
- The total height of the landings was determined with consideration of the structural requirements.
- The visual highlight of these indoor stairs is the smooth soffit lining which undoubtedly complies with current trends in stairs construction.
Ceiling frame for all-glass railings
- The frames are fastened to the raw concrete floors with profiled sheets and hold the glass railings. Moreover, they mask the floor edges and provide a connection to the flooring structure.